Wednesday 7 May 2008

Baby Corys?

A while ago I tried to convince my pygmy corys to breed, but without much luck. Water changes (especially in coincidence with weather fronts) could get them to come out and "dance". Recently I have noticed more complex behaviour, including what looked a bit like the "classic-T" behaviour that spawning corys adopt. But I had pretty much given up hope of anything actually happening.

Last night I noticed something moving at the front of the tank. Before it darted back into the thicket of Hemianthis I saw something that looked like a tiny tadpole, maybe 4-5 mm long. It took me a moment to realise what I had seen - fry! Over the next couple hours I caught another glimpse of it. Very cool!

Now, I can't say for certain that it actually was a baby cory - there are also a few Otocinclus in the tank, but odds are that it was a pygmy cory. Pygmy corys are considered easy to breed, while Otos are rather less easy. Also both fish are easier to breed in groups - I had 7-10 corys in the tank, but only three Otos (and one, I suspect, is a different species from the other two).

No comments: