Thursday 22 March 2007

A plethora of "cleaners"

One of the Otocinclus has been missing for a few days. A second one was dead this morning. I don't know if food was the issue or whether it was a consequence of rough treatment when they were caught at Petsmart (the assistant was pretty rough on them), but I was down to one survivor. I felt torn about whether I wanted to replace the lost fish or not. I feel guilty about letting the fish die, and feel like, well, if I failed to keep them alive, what right did I have to kill some more of them. But I decided to give it another try, and I bought two new Otocinclus today. I also bought some Kuhli loaches, hence the title of my post. I've been fascinated with them since I saw them a couple weeks ago, and having read up on them I was very interested - they seem like really cool fish, although I worry that their burrowing behaviour will wreak havoc on my plants.

So, assuming everyone survives, I have thirteen fish that are species that people usually keep as "cleaners" - seven of corys of (I believe) three species, (one C. aeneus, three C. panda, and three unknowns), three Otocinclus, and now three Kuhli loaches.

No comments: