Monday 2 April 2007

Macropodus

The male Macropodus was frantic in the breeding box, and he was paying no attention to the nest, while the female was still trying to mate with him, so we decided to give them a second chance in the small tank. The nitrites were down to zero, so I netted out the platies and moved the Macropodus over. By thing morning there was a small nest full of eggs, and they seemed to be done, so I moved the female back to the community tank. The breeding box still has eggs as well, although there aren't many bubbles left there. The eggs float, so I suppose we'll see what happens.

I'm really glad they bred, and I'm looking forward to the eggs hatching, but I really don't know what I would do with a crop of baby Macropodus. Not that I really have to worry about that - getting the fish to spawn is the easy part - raising the fry is far more difficult.

No comments: