Saturday, 10 November 2007

Tank #4

I decided to bring the 2-gallon hexagonal acrylic tank back into use. Although we thought about shrimp or African Dwarf Frogs (Hymenochirus curtipes), we ended up going with a fighter again.

The tank has an undergravel filter and a fairly coarse gravel base, so it really isn't a good candidate for a planted tank. Nonetheless, I decided to set it up that way. That allowed me to use my plant tank for the purpose I set it up in the first place - as a source of plant material for my other tanks. I took a small Echinodorus out of the Macropodus tank, but the rest of it came from the plant tank. I took a good bit of Ceratophyllum (Hornwort), though most of it ended up in the Macropodus tank, opening up a large space in the plant tank. I also cut back the large stem of Cabomba that have reached the water level and grown across much of the tank. I pulled out a rooted Ludwigia plant and took a couple cuttings of Hygrophila difformis (Water Wisteria) and Hygrophila polysperma, which is considered one of the easiest aquarium plants (and not surprisingly, apparently it's a noxious weed).

I'm hoping the plants will do well in the new tank. I'm more interested in how that trimming will affect the plants that remain in the plant tank.

No comments: