Tuesday, 2 September 2014

Planting dwarf hairgrass

As part of my aquarium re-do I decided to add some dwarf hairgrass (Eleocharis parvula) to the foreground. The plants I bought formed a dense mat of runners that I separated into a number of large clumps that I anchored with half a toothpick. While the clumps stayed put pretty well (although foraging corys uprooted a couple of them) I was left with a lot of smaller bits floating on top of my tank. While it was only a small portion of what I had bought, it was still a lot of plants, and it seemed wasteful to discard them (or really, just let them float until they were battered to death by the water flow).

Having done the planting I found myself wondering how I should have done it. I looked around online and found this video.

It looked like an interesting, albeit labour intensive, way of getting things planted, so I tried it with my leftover floating bits of the plant.

As I thought, it's tedious and labour intensive. I gave up after a dozen or so plantings. It was also a very effective way of getting the plants rooted - something I wish I had learned years ago. I tried it with a fragment of Ludwigia that had floated in the tank for the last two weeks (and grown a long root). It worked just as well. While I'm a little concerned that I might be burying the stems a bit too deep in the substrate (though, luckily, it's just gravel) I'm not too worried. I'll see how things work. So far though, it seems like a good technique for planting any small aquarium plants, especially those that come as cut stems with no real root mass. (I wouldn't, for example, try that technique with a sword.)

1 comment:

uminobeach.com said...

An Aquarium LED Light Online is an excellent choice for enhancing the beauty of your aquarium while providing suitable lighting for fish and aquatic plants. LED aquarium lights are energy-efficient, long-lasting, and available in various colors, sizes, and brightness levels to suit different aquarium setups. They help create a beautiful underwater environment, highlight the natural colors of fish, and support plant growth when the appropriate light spectrum is selected. Buying aquarium LED light online allows you to explore a wide range of designs, compare prices, and choose the right lighting system from the comfort of your home. Whether you have a small home aquarium or a large planted tank, aquarium LED lights offer an attractive and convenient lighting solution.
#8/9, 1st & 2nd Floor, Bhavani Nagar, Near Retteri Junction, Kolathur, Chennai – 600099, or contact 7204455866 / 9962334443