Tuesday 2 September 2014

Serpae tetras

Hyphessobrycon eques. Photo by Alexander Dubrovsky, released into the public domain.
The local big box fish store happened to have a big sale recently; among the various discounted fish was a tankful of what they called 'minor red tetras'. This name was new to me, so I looked it up and it turned out to be one of the many names for Hyphessobrycon eques, more commonly known as the Serpae tetra. On a whim (and since there was space in my newly renovated tank) I decided to buy what they had.

[Update: These may not be Serpae tetras.]

Although the fish I keep are generally South American, I have barely scratched the surface when it comes to tetra diversity. Mostly I've seen the long-finned variety in pet stores, and they always struck me as slightly sad, slightly clumsy-looking fish. These guys though are attractive little fish, fairly active in the mid and upper water of the tank, willing to school near (or even with) my Glowlight tetras.

I can't speak for them in the long term, but thus far, I'm happy with the addition.

No comments: