Wednesday 29 August 2007

Macropodus fry

The Macropodus nest was in a difficult place to see easily, so it was hard to see if there were eggs, but after a few days I started seeing the fry. Today there are 30-40 fry (maybe more) on the glass below the nest. Now I have the great challenge - do I feed them? I don't want to - I have more Macropodus than I know what to do with. On the other hand, I don't feel comfortable with the idea of just letting them starve to death (letting them get eaten doesn't upset me, but letting them starve does, for whatever reason.

The other issue is algal growth. An awful lot of algae has grown along the glass in the tank - mostly along the right side (where the light is) especially along the back (which is against the window). I'm also getting algal growth (maybe cyanobacteria) along some of the gravel. On one hand, since my main interest is plant growth, this should not be a bad thing. On the other hand, the algae can overgrow the plants. One solution might be more plants, another is to get some more Otocinclus (since I only have one in the main tank, they could move over once they have acclimated and knocked the algae back a bit).

No comments: