Tuesday 13 February 2007

Dramatis personae II: the Corys

My second purchase on fish included not only more platies, but also four Corys. Petsmart had them labelled as Corydoras aeneus, which is one of the things that drew me to them, but once I got them home and looked at them under the lights in the tank, I had my doubts about that designation. One of them looks like a classic C. aeneus, but the other three have broken stripes along the length of their bodies that made me have my doubts. The shape of the head is a little different as well. In addition, while they all school together, the three probable non-aeneus fish tend to school together most of the time, while the clear aeneus fish tends to spend more time alone.

Anyway, whatever they are, Corys are cool fish. They're usually frantic swimmers (although they aren't very active this morning). But what draws me to them most is nostalgia. I had Corys when I first had fish, but after we moved to Dow Village they stayed downstairs and I paid very little attention to them. And then one day I looked in on them and there was at least one more than there had been originally. That discovery really fascinated me, and it has stayed with me ever since. I suppose I was also drawn to C. aeneus because they are a Trini fish, and other than guppies, perhaps the only reliably available Trini fish.

No comments: