Thursday 31 January 2008

Display tank or breeder?

As I mentioned previously, I now have an available tank to stock. The first step was cleaning it up - the tank was badly overgrown and the substrate was very dirty. Over the course of cleaning it took 10 or 15 gallons of water out of a 10-gallon tank - and even then, I didn't get the substrate completely clean.I took out most of the Rotala - it just hadn't taken very well in that tank. I also pruned the Echinodorus plant rather severely - that should let more light through. I may need to add some more plants to the foreground, from the perspective of a "planted tank" it has a major deficiency - the lack of adequate substrate. The tank has nothing but rather garish red and black gravel. In the course of cleaning it up, I took most of the organic material out of the substrate, thus removing most of its nutrient-holding capability.Now I need to figure out what to do with this tank. Do I want to give the corys a chance to breed? Having done so much to make the tank pretty, do I really want to turn it into a breeder? Or to put it differently - can I make a breeding tank visually interesting? If I had a few more pandas I could make a little shoal of them...but the reason I want to breed pandas is my lack of pandas.

No comments: